Boral Quarries Coldstream
531 Maroondah Highway
Coldstream VIC 3770
The Boral Coldstream Quarry is located on the northern face of Bald Hill, positioned between the outer Melbourne suburb of Lilydale and township of Coldstream.
With earliest operations commencing in 1902, the quarry has provided a source of hard rock aggregate used throughout Melbourne's east, south-east and CBD.
Coldstream's toscanite rock resource is mainly used for crushed and exposed concrete products.
The Boral Coldstream Quarry was established in 1900’s as Black Quarry. Following various expansions and ownership changes Boral acquired the quarry in the 1960’s.
The quarry is located off the Maroondah Hwy just outside the township of Coldstream.
Resource from the quarry is used in predominantly crushed concrete and exposed concrete aggregates products. The site supplies approximately 100,000 tonnes per annum of total product to internal and external customers.
The quarry site occupies over 90 hectares of land.
Planning and Approvals
General Operating Approvals
The quarry's main approval is Extractive Industry Work Authority 96 (WA96), issued under the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act 1990. This allows the operation of extractive activities at the site for the life of the resource.
Planning permission to operate the quarry is from existing use rights which reflect the long term use of this land as a quarry, dating back to the first operators in the 1900’s. Expansion of the quarry would require further approvals from the Council.
The quarry also has an Environmental Licence MW802 issued by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) Victoria.
The Boral Coldstream supplies building and construction materials to the eastern region of metropolitan Melbourne.
A number of activities are undertaken at site including
- Stripping- the removal of 'overburden' (soil, sub-soil and other material which sits on top of the hard rock resource);
- Drilling and blasting- use of controlled implosions to expose the hard rock for processing;
- Loading and hauling- transfer of rock to other sites;
- Crushing and screening- during peak sales periods a mobile crushing plant is located at the quarry to produce the various grades of aggregate, otherwise material is sent to other Boral quarries for processing; and
- Stockpiling, sales and transportation- storage an movement of products to market.
We welcome your comments and feedback about any topic relating to the Boral Coldstream Operations. For general inquiries, please contact:
Boral Coldstream Quarry
Ph: (03) 9237 1100
Mobile: 0401 894 141
Click here to send an email