The core function of the Soils Laboratory is compliance testing and certification of roadbase and sub-base materials. These materials are referred to as pavement materials and can be manufactured using natural products, recycled materials or a combination of both. The Soils Laboratory offers the full suite of compliance testing required by RMS QA Specification 3051 (Granular Pavement Base and Sub-Base Materials) and all other relevant specifications. In addition to all standard compaction and classification testing, the Soils Laboratory overs other earthworks assessments including:
- Bearing strength tests (CBR)
- Uniaxial strength tests (UCS, MDCS)
- Direct shear strength tests (60, 100 and 300 mm shear boxes)
- Triaxial strength tests (Modified Texas Triaxial)
- Permeability tests (constant and falling head)
In recent years, the Soils Laboratory has been undertaking extensive research and development programs to ensure Boral recycled materials are a viable option for the production of specific pavement materials.