Stone Mastic Asphalt (SMA) is a thin yet resistant asphalt surfacing mix with very good rut resistance properties and superior durability. It can also be used as a base course mix for all sophisticated building needs. Primarily used for heavily trafficked roads - is the preferred surfacing in some countries. SMA can be used for all types of pavements.
Mix filled with a mastic of bitumen and fillers and fibres added to provide adequate stability to the binder and prevent drainage to binder during transport and placing.
Application / Use
- Light industrial
- Council roads
- State roads
Features & Benefits
- Base course mix for building and all pavement types
- Rough texture
- Good skid resistance over time, lower noise and structural characteristics
- Good rut resistance properties and superior durability
- Gap-graded asphalt mix, (surface courses), with high proportion of coarse aggregate resists permanent deformation
- Good structural capabilities, superior water resistance and permeability
- Hot mix